1924 Capital Campaign
After a fire destroyed the existing church building in January 1924, the Rev. Harry Woods Kimball used the opportunity to build a facility that more closely met his congregation’s needs. The planned building would provide a larger sanctuary capable of seating the much larger congregation, new classrooms downstairs for the expanded Sunday School program, and an assembly hall capable of seating 200.
Funds for the new church, which cost $60,000 to build, came from:
|Insurance collected on old building||
The new organ was not included in this capital campaign. The $5,600 needed to procure it were raised separately by the choir, under the leadership of the choir directors, Dr. Wilde and Miss Mabel P. Friswell.
Source: The History of the Evangelical Congregational Church of Needham, Massachusetts as compiled by Edmund W. Trowbridge, Church Historian, 1957.
- The 1924 Fire (Once Upon a Time in Needham)